Within our Active Travel portfolio of activities, we maintain a number of priorities aimed at encouraging people from the local community to adopt walking and cycling for functional journeys, that reduce the impact of climate change as well as bring health and fitness benefits. This is intended to make a positive contribution towards reducing the local impact of climate change in Coupar Angus and enabling people to understand the importance of using Active Travel. Within our programme we include:
Promoting cycling and associated Active Travel are important activities at Forward Coupar Angus, where the Scottish Government Climate Challenge Fund supports our initiatives.
- Working with schools to promote travel to school journeys via walking and cycling, including promoting engagement in accredited cycling proficiency schemes.
- Working with local businesses and employers to promote employee Active Travel as a viable commuting option involving walking, cycling and car sharing.
- Working with local partners and statutory agencies to improve walking and cycle infrastructure, such as designated routes and cycle storage facilities
For further information, please contact: Active.Travel@forwardcouparangus.org
Additionally, we seek to develop the Coupar Angus Cycle Hub as a successful social enterprise able to provide training and employment opportunities to local people and attract visitors to the town.
Our Cycle Hub initiative aims to offer the following benefits:
- Training in cycling, cycle mechanics and cycle leadership
- Opportunities to join a number of cycle groups
- Hosting events including an annual Cycling and Active Travel Festival
- Via our Bike Shop offer a range of traditional cycles and eBikes as well as cycling equipment and clothing.
- Cycle repair
- A range of secondhand bikes for sale
The Forward Coupar Angus is also a lead partner in developing the Strathmore Cycle Network, which aims to create cycle friendly and safe routes between the three towns of Alyth, Blairgowrie and Coupar Angus.
Coupar Angus was the first community in Scotland to receive a Gold Level Cycle Friendly Community Award in 2017. The award is made by Cycling Scotland in recognition of the focus the Cycling Hub has made in promoting cycling and Active Travel. We have also received support from the following organisations:
- Scottish Cycling
- Highland Perthshire Cycling
Contact details for the Coupar Angus Cycling Hub and Bike Shop are:
Coupar Angus Cycling Hub (former Bowling Club)
1 Forfar Road
Tuesday to Friday 10am – 6pm
Saturday 1pm – 5pm